Friday, August 21, 2009

I like my men the same way I like my coffee...

Covered in bees! Now, that never gets old. But doesn't that Vietnamese iced coffee below look delicious? If I was at work right now, I would be drinking some.


C'mon, baby, come to mama. Now don't be shy. I just wanna take you out and show you a good time.

It's no secret to my friends, family and co-workers that I enjoy my coffee. I wouldn't say it's my crack (because crack is whack, yo), especially since the euphoria I feel after a good cup of coffee lasts so long, it would be more appropriate to call it my meth.

When I was going to school in Italy, I, like the rest of my classmates, was downing the stuff like no tomorrow. Shot of espresso before morning class, another shot during morning break, a third after lunch, a fourth during afternoon break and if I had to stay up late studying, a fifth after dinner.

Wow. Just looking at that list makes me wonder how I ever got any sleep during grad school. I tried switching to green tea, but it was a poor substitute.

This reminds of a talk a GP gave to us last year on chronic disease and nutrition. Because of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART), people with HIV/AIDS are living many, many years and now the focus is caring for them when why have chronic diseases like diabetes or heart disease.

Of course, once the GP finished, we used the time to pepper her with questions on basic nutrition. Main points: cut down on meat as much as possible, eat fruit and vegetables often and coffee is poison. We all groaned at them and shook our heads knowingly, like we would give that up.

Then someone asked her about wine.
"Why do you need to drink wine?"
"Well, what about the anitoxidants, the flavanoids?"
"Just eat some grapes with the skin on them. You don't need wine."

And that's the point where she officially lost all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment